Third time in four days for me at the gym. This time, I went armed.
With music, I mean. (I can see how you might misinterpret that, knowing I live in Texas.)
I can’t stand iPod earphone/ear buds, because they won’t stay in my ear very well. I also worry about losing my hearing; rather, losing more of my hearing. But, it is an undeniable fact that good music helps me boost my exercise intensity.
My new playlist helped me walk 1.5 miles in the same amount of time it took me to walk a mile on Monday. It includes:
- Billy Bragg, Waiting for the Great Leap Forward (from Worker’s Playtime)
- Robert Randolph & the Family Band, Ain’t Nothing Wrong With That
- Adam Ant, Stand and Deliver
- OK Go, Here It Goes Again
- Otis Redding, Shake
- Plastic Bertrand, Ça plane pour moi
- The Pogues, If I Should Fall From Grace With Go
- The Ramones, Do You Remember Rock & Roll Radio
- The Skatalites, Guns of Navarone
- The Dollyrots, Brand New Key
- Bishop Allen, Eve of Destruction
Not only did I go faster and farther, I burned enough calories that I took the advice of my nutritionist and added a quick hit of extra protein to my meal plan. Never has a bite of light cheese tasted so good.
The best part of the workout has to be that I was lapped—three times—by a woman wearing a house dress, curlers, and a hair net. I wanted to get a photo, but the only place I could have done that would have been the locker room, and that really didn’t seem like a good idea.